- 2 tbsp. Borden® Butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced (optional)
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Liquid smoke, to taste
- 1 loaf (1 lb.) sourdough bread, sliced
- 16 slices Borden® Cheese Singles Sensations® Extra Sharp Cheddar
- 3 lbs. pork shoulder
- 4 tbsp. Borden® Butter
- MELT butter in a medium-size skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions until soft; stir in jalapeños, ketchup, sugar and liquid smoke. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for an hour or until sauce has thickened to desired consistency.
Elsie’s tips: Feel free to personalize the sauce. Want it sweeter? Add more sugar. Want it spicier? Add more jalapeños.
- SMOKE pork shoulder in a hot smoker for 3 to 5 hours at 210° F (internal meat temperature of 150°F). Remove, and wrap in aluminum foil. Refrigerate overnight.
- REMOVE excess fat from pork. Using two forks, shred remaining meat into a large bowl. Mix in barbecue sauce.
- BROWN 2 slices of buttered sourdough bread in a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Place a slice of cheese on each slice. Top with ⅛ of pulled pork mixture, a second slice of cheese and another slice of buttered bread. Turn sandwich over when bottom slice has browned and brown the other side.
Elsie’s tips: Use prepared smoked pork shoulder in place of smoking your own pork.