Total Cook Time
- 1-½ tsp. ancho chili powder or chili powder
- 1-½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2-½ tsp. cumin, divided
- 1-½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- ¾ tsp. black pepper
- 1 pork shoulder (2-½ pound boneless or 3-½ pound bone-in)
- 2 tbsp. oil, divided
- 1 cup chicken broth or beer
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 serrano or jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) fire-roasted tomatoes
- 8 sandwich buns, split, toasted
- 4 Borden® Cheese Quesadilla Slices
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into 16 slices
- PREHEAT oven to 325o F (162o C).
- MIX chili powder, garlic powder, 1-½ teaspoons of the cumin, salt, paprika and pepper. Cover pork with seasoning. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, add pork. Sear 4 to 5 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Reduce heat to low; pour in broth or beer to deglaze slightly. Transfer meat and broth to 9×13-inch baking dish. Cover with foil; cook about 3 hours or until fork tender. Cool slightly; shred meat.
- HEAT remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add pepper and garlic; cook 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Add tomatoes, ¼ cup water and remaining 1 teaspoon cumin; stir to mix well. Transfer sauce to blender; process until smooth. Return to skillet; stir in shredded pork and heat thoroughly over medium-low heat.
- TOP bottom halves of buns with about ½ cup meat mixture, 1 cheese slice, ¼ cup lettuce and 2 tomato slices.